Neptune Fountain, circa 1883
Dunkirk Historical Museum, Dunkirk, NY
Now owned by the Dunkirk Historical Museum, this Neptune fountain was originally purchased in 1883 by Horatio Brooks, and placed in front of the Brooks Locomotive Works in Dunkirk, NY, as a symbol for the connection of the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes by the railroad.
Eventually given to the city of Dunkirk in 1938, it was moved to Washington Park where it remained until it’s deteriorated condition made it necessary to remove it in 1965.
Having been in storage since that time, it was restored in the summer of 2001, and awaits a permanent installation site. It is a fine example of the fountains manufactured by the J.W. Fiske Co., which was located in New York City.